People buy car insurance aiming to protect their car and themselves when accidents occur. Auto insurance lessens your financial burden when the unthinkable happens. While many people understand that auto insurance is essential, most don’t know what it covers and the different coverages available. For these reasons, Coosa Valley Financial Group located in Rome, GA, is here to help you understand more about auto insurance.
Required auto insurance coverages in Georgia
Whether you drive a classic or a modern car in Georgia, you must purchase auto insurance. Here are the minimum coverages you should incorporate into your car insurance policy.
- Bodily injury liability: The Georgian Law requires drivers to carry bodily injury liability coverage with at least $25,000 per person and twice the amount per accident. This coverage protects you when you are liable for an accident that causes injuries to other road users.
- Property damage liability: This coverage protects you when legally responsible for causing property damage to other people in a vehicular accident. The state requires you to purchase a minimum of $25,000 per accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This coverage protects you against uncovered bodily injury and property damage caused to you by a motorist carrying zero insurance. However, while this coverage is required, you can reject it in writing.
When you are found guilty of driving without auto insurance in Georgia, penalties include:
- A fine of between $200 and $1,000
- Possible jail time of up to 12 months
- License suspension of between 60 and 90 days
- Vehicle impoundment
While we live in difficult economic times — and meeting your day-to-day expenses might be tasking — you shouldn’t go without auto insurance as non-compliance plunges you into a deeper financial hole.
Optional auto insurance coverages
Although purchasing state-required auto coverages is essential, most drivers consider the below additional coverages for well-rounded protection:
- Comprehensive coverage
- Collision coverage
- Medical payments or Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Road assistance coverage
Are you shopping for auto insurance in Rome, GA? Please look no further than Coosa Valley Financial Group. Contact us today for an affordable quote.